Thread: Weighted attributes

Weighted attributes

I'm using the advanced search extension. Which is more 'important', a lower or higher weight number? If I want the Name attribute to be most important should that be 1 or 1000? How does the weighting work, does the weight number impact the degree of importance or just the order of importance. Example:

Name 1
    Description: 500
    SKU: 501

What is the result of the above?

Thanks, great extension.

Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    I'm using the advanced search extension. Which is more 'important', a lower or higher weight number? If I want the Name attribute to be most important should that be 1 or 1000? How does the weighting work, does the weight number impact the degree of importance or just the order of importance. Example:

Name 1
    Description: 500
    SKU: 501

What is the result of the above?

Thanks, great extension.
    Hi Gareth,

The higher the weight the more 'weight' you put on this attribute. The weights are all relevant to the total of what you set. You can add attributes and total them at 100 or 1000 or any other arbitrary number between 1 and a 1000 that you want. If you want to give the name top relevancy, use something like this:

Attribute: Name, Weight: 80
    Attribute: Description, Weight: 10
    Attribute: SKU, Weight: 10

What does it mean? The results in your site will now order by this new weight structure. So products with the search term in the name, description & SKU will show up first, then products with the search term in the name and description or name and SKU, then products with the search term in the Name only etc. etc.

Sincerely,
    Ron

Perfect, thanks Ron.

Quick update, just to give everyone a better understanding how the weighted attributes sorting is working:

The Advanced Search extension will try to find each search term in every searchable attribute and add corresponding weights to calculate the final weight for each match. That it will sort the results based on this resulting weight in descending order (highest weights first).

Hope this helps.